Broadway Branch, Cleveland Public Library, circa 1910
The Broadway Branch Library was approved in 1904, and built shortly thereafter. It was located in Broadway - E. 55th St. business district, an important hub in the first half of the twentieth century. Due to declining use it was announced that the library would close in 1988. This prompted "Citizens to Bring Back Broadway", a community activist group, to hold a sit-in at the branch. A compromise was reached whereby a library branch would occupy a small part of the Hruby Conservatory building - right next to the Broadway Branch Library building.
Strauss & Muller
Cleveland State University. Michael Schwartz Library. Special Collections. Postcards of Cleveland.